b-hebrew - (somewhat) A Redefinition of "Israel"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Andrew C Smith <a.c.smith AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: (somewhat) A Redefinition of "Israel"
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 14:39:16 EST

I can agree, perhaps, with some (but not all) of what Lloyd wrote:

>A unified "Israel" never existed. This notion is a profound
>misconception.

It is true that, as far back as the conquest under Joshua, the were not
as unified as God had wanted them to be: the book of Judges records
disputes between tribes. Later, David would be acknowledged as king
twice, once by the south, and once by the north. So it is clear that the
ultimate north-south split had very early roots. But I cannot agree with
Lloyd's general view of Israelite history.

A.C. Smith

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]