b-hebrew - Re: wayyiqtol test, dave:necessary

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: yochanan bitan <ButhFam AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: wayyiqtol test, dave:necessary
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 06:08:00 -0500

> But I have yet to see an answer to my question, which I am asking
> now for the third time:
> what is there in this form that makes sequence a
> *necessary* and *inherent* property of it, and why?

i will answer again: it is an inherent property due to its existence,
an existence in complementary distribution of the semantic TAM with [x-]
qatal.
languages do not develop/preserve two verb systems in order to mark the
same tense-and/or-aspect-and/or-mood or to 'mark' word order!
however, languages do have special narrative, mainline and sequential
forms.

[see buth: The Hebrew Verb in Current Discussions, Journal of
Textlinguistics and Translation, 5:91-105 (SIL, 1992) five pages continue
on from the following section:
"The Sequential Verb Forms"
"The sequential verb forms have brought the most grief to students and have
not been adequately explained "in grammars. The reason is three-fold: 1)
a full explanation needs a larger linguistic framework including
"pragmatics and discourse grammar; 2) the forms of the system need to be
explained diachronically, not "synchronically; and 3) the explanations
sometimes given are simply wrong. . . .]

braxot
randall buth