b-hebrew - Re: "the etymological fallacy"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: "the etymological fallacy"
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 06:43:43 -0700

> Would anyone be interested in laying out "the etymological fallacy", pro
> and con?
> I fear I am much prone to it, and would like to see it argued.

The best treatment of it that I've seen is in D. A. Carson,
"Exegetical Fallacies." Here's the amazon.com entry for this book:

Exegetical Fallacies
by D. A. Carson
List Price: $7.99
Our Price: $6.39
You Save: $1.60 (20%)

Availability: This title usually ships
within 2-3 days.

Paperback 2nd edition (May 1996)
Baker Book House; ISBN: 0801020867 ;
Dimensions (in inches): 0.47 x 8.44 x 5.53

Besides the examples that David gave, my favorite is the English
word "nice" which comes from Latin "nescius," which means
"ignorant." So if someone calls you a nice person, put up your
dukes :-)

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur