b-hebrew - Re: Gen 4:1, X + qatal (Bryan)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 4:1, X + qatal (Bryan)
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 13:41:39 -0500

Hi John,
You wrote:

>Bryan wrote:

<snip>

As we
> > analyze any one clause which seems to move forward the story time, the
> > question is what mechanism or combination of mechanisms moves the story
> > time forward. In BH the wayyiqtol can do it by virtue of its inherent
> > meaning. I suppose the X-qatal may do it exceptionally by virtue of
the
> > reader's world knowledge, the reading process itself, and maybe some
other
> > stuff.
>
> Bryan, I think one could say about the wayyiqtol form what you are saying
about the X
> + qatal. I.e. the fact that the vast majority of verbs used to carry
forward the
> story line are wayyiqtols is dictated by something other than the
inherent meaning of
> the form.

Well, I don't hang all my hats on statistical analysis of BH verbs, but we
are talking about overwhelming statistics here. X-qatal expresses sequence
a small minority of the time--no real surprise. It is used to express
simultaneity or anteriority of situations most of the time. It is used to
create a temporal frame into which a narrative fits many times. On the
other hand, we see less than 3% wayyiqtol which do not express sequence and
which cannot be explained. These aren't pretty good indications of
inherent meaning? I.e., my conclusion that X-qatal does not inherently
express sequence is based on a small percentage of times that it does. My
best guess, that wayyiqtol does inherently express sequence, is based on
the tiny percentage of times that it does not.

Liike I said, I am not totally sold on this type of statistical analysis,
primarily because our corpus is a relatively small sample of a language.
So I do have a question: what ratio of positive attestations to
counter-examples invalidates a conclusion? Is 90% good enough for a solid
conclusion? 95%? 98%? We'll never get 100% on anything will we? (I feel
like I am Abraham bargaining for the salvation of Sodom and Gomorrah. ;-)
)

<snip>

Thus I view Gen 18:7 we'el habbaqar
> rats Abraham as functionally equivalent to wayyarots Abraham 'el
habbaqar, and the
> question for the interpreter is not "why the change in verbal form" (the
change is
> dictated by the change in word order), but "why the change in word
order"?

The use of the X-qatal in 18:7 indicates that while Sarah was baking,
Abraham was running. Contrast with the wayyiqtol in 18:8. There Abraham's
taking the butter, etc. is *not* simultaneous with the servant's
preparation of the calf. The calf was prepared, and then Abraham assembled
and presented the meal.

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine