b-hebrew - Re: The Unknown King

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au>
  • To: Lloyd Barre <barre AT c-zone.net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Unknown King
  • Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 09:33:45 +1100

Lloyd Barre wrote:

> Dear List People,
>
> I would be very interest in anyone's opinion with regard to these texts
> from the Oracles of Balaam (the last is from the Blessing of Moses. the
> oracles makes several refences to a king. Who is this king and do the
> texts tell us about him?

Lloyd, in the first extract at least, by the clues of poetic parallelism, the
king is Yahweh. With regards to the Agag, there is some doubt - is a human
king meant or a divine king? The Agag figure is somewhat ambiguous.The star
in Jacob is
certainly a human king, though who is difficult to tell. David? Or an
Israelite king like Omri?

Best,
GEORGE ATHAS
Dept of Semitic Studies,
University of Sydney
- Email: gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au
Visit the Tel Dan Inscription Website at
http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~gathas/teldan.htm

  • The Unknown King, Lloyd Barre, 02/05/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: The Unknown King, George Athas, 02/07/1999