b-hebrew - Re: veqatal: prag cont. not TAM cont

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: yochanan bitan <ButhFam AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: veqatal: prag cont. not TAM cont
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 05:49:00 -0500

david shalom,

(discussing isaiah 6.1 you wrote:)
>I don't see any real evidence of the equivalence of "TAM" here. A
>WP after a temporal clause is about as common a construction in
>BH as anything else we can find. I suspect the key to its syntax is
>to be found in that fact, not in TAM.
. . .
>Again, it's common for a WP to follow a temporal clause in
>narrative, so I doubt this construction is marked in any particular
>way.

lo yaradta lesof da`ati
"you didn't get to the end of my thought"

first of all, the examples did NOT follow a clause, just a fronted time
margin.
secondly, the author had a choice, following the time phrase, to use ra'iti
or va'er'e.

va`ere is the more interesting because the vav in va'er'e is semantically
quite superfluous.
is 6.1 [new paragraph/new section(no vav)] = In the year of K Uzi's death
AND i saw ...
i cited the moavit examples because examples like this are often rejected
by moderns as textual accidents caused by unknown copying processes.

braxot
randall buth