b-hebrew - Re: Divided Monarchy $ the Shape of Authority of Israelite Tradition

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kirk Lowery <KirkLowery AT xc.org>
  • To: Irene Riegner <iriegner AT concentric.net>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew Forum <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Divided Monarchy $ the Shape of Authority of Israelite Tradition
  • Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 07:10:49 -0500

Irene Riegner wrote:

> BTW, I've been getting messages with very long horizontal scrolls. Why
> is this? They are difficult to read. How can this be prevented?

Many email clients today expect that recipients of their messages have "word
wrap" features and so do not put "hard" carriage returns at the end of every
line, but only at the end of every paragraph. Most email software have a
feature called "word wrap" somewhere in their menus. For example, in
Netscape Communicator 4.5, it is found under the "View" menu. Whenever I
resize my window, Netscape automatically adjusts the word wrap to the new
width of the window.

Email clients also (usually) have a feature which allow you to set how many
characters wide the outgoing messages should be formatted to. I recommend
that this be set to 76 (which allows for the angle brackets of quoting) or
at least stay within 80 characters wide lines. (In Netscape, you can set the
line length under "Edit|Preferences|Messages".)

To solve your immediate problem, find the wordwrap feature of your email
reader, and set it to wrap long lines. This should handle most situations.

Hope this helps,

Kirk
B-Hebrew Staff
Kirk E. Lowery, Ph.D. voice: (215) 572-3845
Associate Director of Academic Computing fax: (215) 887-5404
Adjunct Professor of Old Testament email:
<KirkLowery AT xc.org>
Westminster Theological Seminary
Philadelphia, PA 19118