b-hebrew - Re: Psalm 11:7c

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: mjoseph <mjoseph AT terminal.cz>
  • To: "b-Hebrew Digest" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Psalm 11:7c
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 99 20:41:31 -0000

Peter Kirk helpfully wrote:

>BDB tries to classify common verbs according to subject and object.
>Under both XZH and R)H the subjects given are all either persons or
>the eyes. The list for R)H is not exhaustive, but probably BDB would
>have noted an unusual subject like PANIYM.

OK; this isn't conclusive, but it is close enough. Looks like K & D were
correct.

>See also Ps 17:15 ):ANIY
>B.:CEDEQ )EX:EZEH PFNEYKF.

Yes, this has been suggested as a parallel to the thought.

>Incidentally, the particular form P.FN"YMOW use in Ps 11:7 is unique.

Not so. See:

Job 20:23 (FL"MO
Job 22:2 (FL"MO
Job 27:23 (FL"MO
Job 27:23 KAP."YMO

>Westminster Morphological Database parses as "noun both plural
>construct with pronominal suffix 3rd masculine plural" and GKC (91h,l)
>confirms that -MOW is a rare poetic plural possessive.

Keil & Delitzsch call this a "dignified singular suffix." We both know
that it is a 3rd person masculine *singular* suffix attaching to a
*plural* noun, but what are we supposed to call it on this list,
"singular" or "plural"? I take great pains to make my students
understand that the pronominal suffix indicates *both* who possesses,
*and* how many things are possessed.

>So the meaning
>here is literally "their face(s)".

I would say the meaning is "his face." (1) Though the form of PaNiYM is
plural, the meaning is singular (as I pointed out in my last post), and
thus "face" instead of "face(s)"; (2) The suffix is explained above, thus
"his" instead of "their".

>The plot thickens. Perhaps the
>meaning is "the Upright One (God) will see their faces"? But then who
>are the "they"?

By implication, the righteous, but as I've argued above, I don't see this
translation as being correct. In light of the nature of the suffix, the
usage of PaNiYM with verbs of seeing, and the admissibility of using
YaSHaR as a collective subject with a plural verb, the correct
translation should be "The righteous (collectively) will see His (God's;
the antecedent is in v. 7a) face."

Mark Joseph

There are two kinds of fools:
The first says, "This is old, therefore it is good."
The other says, "This is new, therefore it is better."