b-hebrew - Re[2]: Poetry (was [6]: ex 26 + 36.8ff, (36.29))

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: Poetry (was [6]: ex 26 + 36.8ff, (36.29))
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 13:17:15 -0500 (EST)

I don't think these are examples of "idiolect", which is, I think, the
odd speech of just one person. More likely this is a particular
dialect of English used by teenagers within their sub-culture, either
in your own area or more widely. Such dialects tend to be influenced
by Afro-Caribbean dialects of American cities - even in my home area
(predominantly white) of England, because of influences through pop
culture. Sorry, that's getting off-topic. Now your daughter may be
able to switch to a different dialect for a different situation (e.g.
speaking to you) or genre (e.g. writing an essay for her teacher). But
even speakers of very "standard" English use unfinished sentences in
conversation where the rest of the situation is mutually understood.

You wrote: "These statements are not well-formed according to English
grammar". Well, indeed, according to the type of grammar we learned
from old-fashioned books based on Latin. On the other hand, such
statements are perfectly normal and correct, and therefore
"grammatical", within the dialect in which they occur.

To get back to Hebrew, this means that we cannot find "bad grammar" in
the Hebrew Bible (except perhaps where the text is corrupted, or
conceivably where foreigners are speaking (e.g. 2 Kings 18:19-35)),
but rather "different grammar", corresponding either to a different
dialect (regional, sub-cultural etc) or to a different genre.

Peter Kirk