b-hebrew - Correction

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Lloyd Barre <barre AT c-zone.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Correction
  • Date: 28 Jan 99 03:00:31 -0800

Dear List Members:

Correction: Make the subject to read Judges 17:1-13. Thanks.

I suspect that this passages has been edited so as to reverse a positive
portrayal of Micayehu and his mother into a negative one. I suspect
editorial glosses in the compound definition of the image or two images (?)
made for his shrine (pesel wemassekah [vv 3, 4]) and in the seemingly
intrusive and corrective statement in v 6 that "In those days there was no
king in Israel; everyman did what was right in his own eyes."(cp. 18:1;
19:1). If we bracket out these alleged glosses, do we find a positive
portrayal of Micayehu in which none of his actions are cast in negative
light, but rather advocated by its author?

For Your Consideration,

Lloyd M. Barre, Ph.D.

barre AT c-zone.net
http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/AncientIsrael