b-hebrew - Jer 5.7-8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Irene Riegner <iriegner AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Jer 5.7-8
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 22:07:41 -0500

Dear List People

Two quick questions:
1. Are there any Dead Sea Scroll fragments for Jer 5.7-8? My check of
concordance didn't turn any up for these verses?

2. Jer 5.8: What is the stem for "myznym." It seems it should be
"yzn" but it's also listed as "zwn." The two stems have different
meanings. BHS emends it to "mwznym." Is this particular I-w / y
considered weak---that is, was it originally biconsonantal and if so
would the root "zn" relate to "znh" and "zwn."
I think it is a case where two meanings are blended---"zwn" and "znh."
Hatch and Redpath list these two stems as the meaning of the Greek
"th(eta)lumaneis," a word I can't find in Liddell and Scott, but the
basic word, "th(eta)lu," pertains to women. RSV translates it as
"well-fed" but the dictionary meaning is "to have sexual desire."
"Well-fed" carries through the meaning of $b) "to satiate" found in the
previous verse but does not seem to be an accurate translation. Any
way, how should I understand the semantics, the syntax and the
morphology of "myznym?"

thanks in advance,

irene riegner

  • Jer 5.7-8, Irene Riegner, 01/22/1999