b-hebrew - Re: Gen. 2:19

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: mjoseph <mjoseph AT terminal.cz>
  • To: "b-Hebrew Digest" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen. 2:19
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 99 00:29:26 -0000

Jason Carter wrote:

>I am currently engaged in a scholarly debate, and I am hard pressed to find
>experts on Hebrew to either confirm or deny some assertions concerning the
>bible.
>
>Basically, the atheist position is that Genesis 2:19 contradicts
>the creation account of Genesis chapter one, because of its
>contruction with a WAW consecutive in Hebrew.
>
>Ie. Gen. 2:19 states that animals were created directly after
>G-d realized that Adam needed a helper, which would contradict the account
>in Gen 1. that God created animals before Adam.
>
>Does such a contradiction truly exist?

Well, I'm not an expert in Hebrew, but maybe this will help.

Gen. 2:19 begins with VaYYiTSeR; the verb "YaTSaR" in the imperfect with
a WAW consecutive. Waltke and O'Connor ("Introduction to the Syntax of
Biblical Hebrew", pp. 544-546) say that "It (imperfect with a WAW
consecutive) shows in Hebrew meanings equivalent to those of the suffix
(perfect) conjugation." Earlier, on p. 490, they had already shown that
the suffix conjugation can have a pluperfect meaning; later, on p. 552,
they show that the imperfect with a WAW consecutive can also have a