b-hebrew - RE:original language of "Maccabeans"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT Highland.Net>
  • To: M Brody <mbrody AT earthling.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE:original language of "Maccabeans"
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 07:50:13 +0000

At 10:49 AM 1/19/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Thank you Jim West for your letter 0n 11:12 18/01/99 +0000.
>>As the 4 maccabean texts were not composed in Hebrew, they found no place in
>>the Hebrew canon.
>>Jim
>>

> Do you have a source for this assumption?

I presumed it was common knowledge- like the fact that Ben Sira WAS composed
in Hebrew. First, the language of the maccabean materials is NOT
translation Greek, reflecting an earlier Hebrew Vorlage. Second, there is
not a shred of evidence supporting the idea that these texts were written in
Hebrew. And third, there is not, to my knowledge, a SINGLE copy of these
texts in Hebrew predating the oldest Greek materials.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Quartz Hill School of Theology