b-hebrew - Sarah (was Nomadic Scribes?)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Ronning <ronning AT ilink.nis.za>
  • To: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Sarah (was Nomadic Scribes?)
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 08:04:53 +0200

Ben Crick wrote:

> . . . As for Sarah being coveted by
> a local sheikh for his harem: what would we expect Sarah to look like,
> after being rejuvenated to be the mother of Isaac!

I couldn't agree more. I'm glad to see that at least one person could
figure out what I was driving at (this has also been suggested before by
some Rabbis and a few commentators, and seems to be presumed by Paul in
Rom 4:17-19).

As for Abraham's Ur, it has to be close to Haran to fit the fact that
when Abraham's servant and Jacob go back to Abraham's homeland, they are
near Haran, not Sumerian Ur, which is referred to hundreds of times in
cuneiform sources, never as "urkasdim" (if someone says they come from
Rome, XX, I think we're entitled to say they don't come from Rome,
Italy, even if we don't know exactly where XX is).

Regards,

John Ronning

  • Sarah (was Nomadic Scribes?), John Ronning, 01/15/1999