b-hebrew - Re: (palimpsest) pre-exilic Hebrew papyrus

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "R.G.Lehmann" <lehmann AT mail.uni-mainz.de>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: (palimpsest) pre-exilic Hebrew papyrus
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 13:56:28 +0100

Andrew C Smith schrieb:

> In a context having nothing to do with Hebrew, I've worked quite a bit
> with palimpsests. Those are re-written documents, where somebody erased
> the first document, and then wrote over it a second document. This was
> done in times and places where writing materials were expensive or in
> short supply. All the palimpsests I've worked with previously were
> written on animal skins (Medieval). I've never heard of a papyrus
> palimpsest before. I think it should be very difficult to erase an entire
> document on papyrus without destroying the papyrus. How does this work?

Hi Andrew

You simply wash and maybe 'shave' it - Papyrus is a very solid material.
There are
many Papyrus palimpsests, not only the Murabaát on in Hebrew, but also a lot
of in
Aram,aic of the 5th Century BC from Egypt, e.g the famous tax list for the
Elephantine Temple, the Achiqar Papyrus and so on.

Greetings

reinhard g.lehmann

Reinhard G. Lehmann
Lect. for Classical Hebrew and Aramaic