b-hebrew - Re: tense-aspect-mood, Bryan

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: tense-aspect-mood, Bryan
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 19:19:53 -0500

Dear Rolf,

wow, thanks for all the time and effort you have put into this thread!

you wrote:
> Dear Lee,
>
> I wrote in a post about a week ago that stativity is not a semantic
> property for verbs in Hebrew,

how do you know? can you give me a proof-text in which it is impossible.
i'm very interested because i believe very nearly just this: the qatal
intrinsically means "the state of the subject at the time being talked
about." it's very like a perfect; it's very adjectival. (btw, i know the
difference between perfect and perfectIVE.)

thanks, Rolf, especially since i know you've been very busy. i hope i
have caught you before you might be sick of it! ;-)

thanks,
Bryan