b-hebrew - Royal Ideology

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Lloyd Barre <barre AT c-zone.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Royal Ideology
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 17:51:45 -0800

Dear List Members:

I am soliciting comments on how the members understand the relationship of
the king to the deity in these two texts:

Your throne O 'elohim shall last for ever and ever,
your royal scepter is a scepter of integrity:
virtue you love as much as you hate wickedness.
This is why God ('elohim), your God ('elohika) has anointed you
with the oil of gladness above all your rivals;
myrrh and aloes waft from your robes (Ps 45:6-7)

and:

Let me proclaim Yahweh's degree:
he has told me:
"You are my son,
today I have become your father." (?) (Ps 2:7)

Regards,

Lloyd Barre

  • Royal Ideology, Lloyd Barre, 01/07/1999