b-hebrew - Re: Re[2]: Gen 1.1-2, hyh, Peter

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: <Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Re[2]: Gen 1.1-2, hyh, Peter
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 16:44:10 -0500

Dear Peter,

you wrote:
----------
> From: Peter_Kirk AT sil.org
> To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
> Subject: Re[2]: Gen 1.1-2, hyh
> Date: Wednesday, January 06, 1999 11:00 PM
>

> This raises a question: does the X-HYH clause provide the setting or
> background for what precedes it, or only for what follows it? In other
> words, should be understand something like 1, or something like 2?

we have a clear indication. unfortunately the extant textbook tradition
for learning BH is rather silent on the meaning of clause-types in a
series. most of them teach a simple past tense translation for *both*
wayyiqtol and we-X-qatal which is misleading at best. one reason it is
misleading is that *in discourse* (i.e., *in text*), english simple pasts
do not all have the same function. some move narrative time forward, and
some signify anteriority, depending on context. the mis-understanding
perpetrated by the textbook tradition for learning BH is the suggestion by
rehersal that BH merely has two semantically equal forms(wayyiqtol and
qatal) for our one english form(the simple past). sure this description
makes sense in a lot of cases, but claim wayyiqtol/qatal = simple past?
no!

> 1.
> In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
> [Then, at some later time] The earth was formless and empty... and
> then God said...

your number (1) is the series wayyiqtol-->wayyiqtol, i.e.,

vayyib:ra'..."and then God created..."
vat:hi..."and then the earth was(became)..."

or to get "the beginning" in a more appropriate spot:

vay:hi bere$it b:ro' 'elohim "and when God began creating..."
vayyib:ra'..."he created..."
vat:hi..."and then the earth was..."

> 2.
> In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
> [Before that] The earth had been formless and empty... and then [as
> the next step] God said...

your (2) is closer to the notion in the actual Hebrew text.

there's another possibility that you don't mention which expresses
simultaneity, the series wayyiqtol--->we-X-qatal, i.e.:

vayyib:ra'... "and then God created..."
veha'arec haytah.. would represent the notion, "at that same time, the
earth became..."

i think it's helpful to remember that in *narration*(i.e., not always in
direct speech which operates a little differently), wayyiqtol moves the
story-time forward, and X-qatal or we-X-qatal does not. you may want to
refer to the works of Niccacci on the subject. i particularly like his
recent articles in the _Narrative Syntax and the Hebrew Bible: Papers of
the Tilberg Conference, 1996_ ed. van Wolde, NY: Brill, 1997.

hoping to help,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor
Living Word Church
6101 Court St. Rd.
Syracuse, NY 13208

315-437-6744(w)
315-479-8267(h)

  • Re: Re[2]: Gen 1.1-2, hyh, Peter, Bryan Rocine, 01/06/1999