b-hebrew - Re: Gen 1.1-2, hyh, Ken

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Ken Litwak" <kdlitwak AT concentric.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 1.1-2, hyh, Ken
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 11:58:34 -0500

Dear Ken,

personally, i posted twice, once, which was labelled "Gen 1:1-2," in
support of
bere$it being in construct and once, which was labelled "Gen 1:1-2, hyh,"
about the X-qatal of hyh. it was in the latter, based on the anteriority
of the x-qatal and a more-than-copula interpretation of hyh, that i
launched the thought of a "pre-beginning" world.

yet, the temporal adverb bere$it is indeed related to the story. the
condition of the world *already exists* bere$it bara' 'elohim. God is
therefore not responsible, in the Genesis view, for the pre-beginning
condition of the world. we are not told who is, but i take this as a
meaningful information gap. the "omniscient" narrator is making it clear
that God did not author the watery wasteland.

sincerely,
Bryan

----------
> From: Ken Litwak <kdlitwak AT concentric.net>
> To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
> Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
> Subject: Re: Gen 1.1-2, hyh
> Date: Wednesday, January 06, 1999 1:08 AM
>
> I think I missed something. We went from noting some occurences of
> hyh with constructs, and then tis seemd to demonstrate someow the way
> Gen 1:1-2 should be understood. There was a leap in there somplace I
> didn't get.

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor
Living Word Church
6101 Court St. Rd.
Syracuse, NY 13208

315-437-6744(w)
315-479-8267(h)

  • Re: Gen 1.1-2, hyh, Ken, Bryan Rocine, 01/06/1999