b-hebrew - Re: over and under-specification, Paul

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Paul Zellmer" <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: over and under-specification, Paul
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 09:20:56 -0500

boqer tov, Paul,

at least it's morning here! and a freeeezing one at that. somebody turn
up the heat!

thanks for your response. you wrote:

> Bryan Rocine wrote:
>
> > B-Haverim,
> >
> > it seems to me that the Hebrew writer's stylistic/pragmatic
sensibilities
> > are a little different than ours in that he may use
*under*-specification
> > as well as over-specification as a marking device. Over and
> > under-specification are both used in Exodus 2:21-25
> >

> Bryan,
>
> Is there a reason why you take an example that crosses narrative
boundaries?

the only reason i ignored narrative boundaries is because it gives me a
chance, within a few verses to show both under and over-specification.

> I don't see this as dealing with the relative importance of the
participants. Rather,
> it would appear to indicate the relative importance of the material under
discussion.

yes, that's a helpful clarification. let me dub it relative centrality of
the proposition. the marked tracking of participants adds a bit more
relief or shape to a discourse.

> It's possible that your hypothesis of participant reference is correct
(although I
> think we *do* do it in English to a greater degree than you indicate).
But I don't
> think that's what's going on here.

i do think we practice over-specification, but i think we judge most cases
of under-specification to be poor style, as compared to the Hebrew writer
whose use of under-specification suggests he judged it effective style.

> Happy New Year, friend!
>
> Paul

and to you!

Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor
Living Word Church
6101 Court St. Rd.
Syracuse, NY 13208

315-437-6744(w)
315-479-8267(h)

  • Re: over and under-specification, Paul, Bryan Rocine, 01/02/1999