b-hebrew - Re: I AM THAT I AM and John 8:58 - Rolf, Ron

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: I AM THAT I AM and John 8:58 - Rolf, Ron
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 09:54:18 -0500

Dear B-Haverim,

The following post refers to the rules for discussion on the B-Hebrew list.

The "I am that I am" thread has wandered into the field of New Testament
theology in a manner that is acceptable on the B-Hebrew list because the
discussion has included and required a search for a better understanding of
the Hebrew Scriptures. However, Rolf Furuli's "syllogism post" within the
thread has indeed strayed from the mission of the B-Hebrew list in that it
is entirely devoted to New Testament theology apart from the Hebrew
Scriptures. In other words, theology as a topic of discussion is not the
problem per se; B-Hebrew can entertain discussion of theology as long as
theological assertions are supported by the Hebrew Bible. Discussion of
whether and how Hebrew Scriptures may have been translated or utilized in
the New Testament or other literature is also proper fare for this list.

If members of the list wish to carry on a discussion of New Testament
theology apart from the Hebrew Scriptures, please do so off-list. Thank
you for your cooperation.

Shalom and Happy New Year,
Bryan Rocine
B-Hebrew Staff