b-hebrew - Re: I AM THAT I AM and John 8:58 - Greg

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Ronning <ronning AT ilink.nis.za>
  • To: GregStffrd AT aol.com, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: I AM THAT I AM and John 8:58 - Greg
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 09:32:25 +0200

Dear Greg,

The reason I did not respond to every jot and tittle of your argument that
"son of
man/messiah" is the predicate of "I am he" in John 8:58 is because (as I
already
said), such a predicate is logically problematic. Also, your insistence that
because
the predicate of "I am he" is "son of man/messiah" therefore the predicate is
not the
same as the "I am he" statements in Isaiah (i.e. Yhwh) begs the question, Who
is the
messiah (not "who by name?" but "what is his nature?"). Is he just a special
man, a
unique descendant of David?

So John 8:58 adds something to what Jesus said previously - he existed before
Abraham. He is now the son of man, but he could not exist AS the son of man
before he
became the son of man/messiah/son of David (which requires human nature).
What was
he, then, before he became the son of man? What was he before Abraham
existed? A
god, an angel, a mere name, or yet-to-be-realized decree? It is at this
point that I
think the parallel construction of "before Abraham was, I am he" to Isa 43:13
"from
the day [i.e. in the past], I am he" is relevant.

Let me mention a couple more parallels to the "I am he" (Yhwh) passages in
Isaiah:
John 4:26 ego eimi ho lalwn soi is almost verbatim from Isa 52:6 My people
shall know
my name; therefore in that day, 'ani hu' hammedabber hinneni.
John 13:19 "I am telling you before it comes to pass, so that when it does
occur, you
may believe that I am he" is a nice prose summary of Yhwh's statements that
his
ability to predict the future (especially the deliverance brought by Cyrus)
should
cause Israel to acknowledge that "I am he" (Isa 41:2-4; 43:10-13; 44:26-45:6;
48:12-14)

For what it's worth, I quote the following concerning studies of the EGW EIMI
statements in John that do not have a predicate:
Both [Raymond] Brown and [Philip] Harner argue that the absolute "I am"
sayings find
no significant parallels in non-Jewish literature. Both conclude that the key
influence upon the formulations comes from the Greek translation of passages
in Second
Isaiah where Yahweh is made to say literally "I He" ('ani hu), and the
translators of
the Septuagint have rendered the expression "I am" ego eimi (e.g., 47:8, 10).
. . .
Both agree that in those passages the meaning of the absolute "I am" is the
emphatic
assertion of monotheism and that in effect it came to be used as an
abbreviation for
the divine name itself. Hence, Brown can conclude, "Jesus is presented [in
the fourth
gospel] as speaking in the same manner in which Yahweh speaks in
Deutero-Isaiah." And
Harner concurs, "Second Isaiah supplied John with a solemn expression that was
eminently suited for expressing the unity of the son and the Father and that
had at
the same time a strong connotation of monotheism which also served to express
the
Christian belief that God continued to be one." Moreover, both Brown and
Harner
affirm, in addition to this influence from the Greek form of Second Isaiah, a
knowledge on the fourth evangelist's part of the rabbinic use of "I am He"
('ani wehu)
as a surrogate expression for the divine name, especially in the liturgy for
the feast
of Tabernacles (e.g., Mishnah, Sukkah 4:5).
(end of quote from Robert Kyser, The Fourth Evangelist and His Gospel: An
Examination
of Contemporary Scholarship [Minneapolis: Augsburg, 1975], pp. 119-20). The
author's
own view is that the evidence given by Brown and Harner is "totally
convincing" (p.
122).