b-hebrew - Re: prophet/seer I Chronicles 29:29

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: prophet/seer I Chronicles 29:29
  • Date: Tue, 29 Dec 98 21:55:56

On Tue 29 Dec 98 (06:04:03), a.c.smith AT juno.com wrote:
> Samuel and Gad are listed as "seers" in I Chronicles 29:29, but Nathan
> is listed as a prophet. Why?

Dear Tony

For answer, see 1 Samuel 9:9. The terms are synonymous for all practical
purposes. I suppose a Seer Ro'eH is a clairvoyant, whereas a Prophet NaBiY'
is a clairaudient; but unless the Vision or the Word is from YHWH, they
are false prophets and false seers. Ro'eH can also mean a shepherd or a
pastor; one who "looks after" sheep.

Ben
--
Revd Ben Crick, BA CF