b-hebrew - participle for "what do you do?"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Ronning <ronning AT ilink.nis.za>
  • To: Bryan Rocine <596547 AT ican.net>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: participle for "what do you do?"
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 17:16:26 +0200

Bryan Rocine wrote:

> if the question is "what do you do?"
> 'elmad `ivrit
>
> "what are you doing?"
> 'ani lomed `ivrit

Bryan, if you gave an exam question like this to your students would you
expect them to make this same distinction (would you mark them down for
using the participle in the first example?)? If Amos were your student,
I suspect he would use the participle:
"I am not a prophet, nor am I the son of a prophet (verbless);
for I am (or was) a herdsman (ki boqer 'anoki) and a grower of sycamore
figs (uboles shiqmim)." (7:14)

He can't be talking about what he "is doing right now" since what he is
doing "right now" is prophesying.

John Ronning