b-hebrew - RE: b-hebrew digest: December 14, 1998

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Matthew Anstey" <manstey AT portal.ca>
  • To: "Hebraisticum" <hebraisticum AT mail.uni-mainz.de>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: b-hebrew digest: December 14, 1998
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 12:24:16 -0800

Gday everyone,

I found three new books at the library that people may like to look at. They
seem to be on areas that constantly pop up on these lists. I have borrowed
them but I may not get time to read them until next Feb. Happy reading!

Muraoka, T. ed. 1998. Semantics of Ancient Hebrew. Abr-Nahrain Supp. Series.
vol.6. Peeters Louvain.

Michaelis, Laura A. 1998. Aspectual Grammar and Past-Time Reference.
Routledge Studies in Germanic Linguistics. vol. 4. Routledge.

Goddard, Cliff. 1998. Semantic analysis: a practical introduction. Oxford
Textbooks in Linguistics. Oxford University Press.

Michaelis states that she follows Discourse Representation Theory, following
(among others) Partee. Goddard says he uses a semiotic approach, following
Bierwisch, Katz, Jackendoff, and primarily Wierzbicka.

Muraoka's volume covers these hebrew words:
beri'ah (? undecided ?); derek (way); hadom (submission); kisse' (throne);
kether (crown); me'erah (state of discomfort); ma`gal (moral course);
mish`ol (part of a vineyard); nezer (visible sign of consecration to God);
naqab (to curse; to utter); `atarah (wreath); qabab (to curse); shebet
(rigid instrument used for hitting; power to rule)

Each entry has seven sections: root and comparative material, formal
characteristics, syntagmatics, versions, lexical/semantic fields, exegesis,
conclusions. Each word has a bibliography. This volume is said to be "the
first-fruits of [the] project, Semantics of Ancient Hebrew Database."

Hope this is helpful,

With regards,
Matthew Anstey

  • RE: b-hebrew digest: December 14, 1998, Matthew Anstey, 12/16/1998