b-hebrew - Re[2]: "Consecutive imperfect"...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT sil.org
  • To: furuli AT online.no, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: "Consecutive imperfect"...
  • Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 18:45 -0500 (EST)

Rolf wrote: "...But the nature (or value) of patah and shewa led [the
Masoretes] to use these letters in the way we know without having in
mind the great semantic difference which were ascribed to the letters
by the grammarians from the 11th century onward..."

Hold on... Are you, Rolf, saying that the Masoretic pointing dating
from the 9th-10th centuries (is that correct?) was already
misunderstood in the 11th century? Is it likely that a text preserved
and understood for over a millennium suddenly, in just one century,
became understood in a quite different way i.e. non-past we+yiqtol
suddenly became understood as past wayyiqtol? What catastrophe took
place to cause such a loss of traditional understanding?

Peter Kirk