b-hebrew - Re[2]: Discourse Analysis in general

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT sil.org
  • To: zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: Discourse Analysis in general
  • Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 22:50 -0500 (EST)

Dear Paul,

Thanks for your helpful comments. I am not sure about the alphabet,
but I want to comment on another matter.

I have not seen Bryan's book, and so did not attempt to comment on
that. I certainly was not recommending a "traditional" grammar
learning type approach; no doubt Bryan's book is a great improvement.
I was thinking more from the perspective of an isolated language
learner like Matthew. It sounded to me as if Bryan was suggesting that
such a person started his/her own studies of discourse when still at a
beginning level. Perhaps I misunderstood. But I was suggesting that
reading should take priority over analysis, whether of discourse or of
anything else.

Peter Kirk