b-hebrew - Re: Graduate PhD Programs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Troy DeJongh <troyd AT pobox.com>
  • To: Steve Brailsford <Steve.Brailsford AT NSMG.Seagatesoftware.com>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Graduate PhD Programs
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 10:56:52 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Steve Brailsford wrote:

> I'm looking at where I should go to study for a PhD in OT and Semitic
> languages.
> I've seen from the internet that there are not a lot of schools who really
> offer certain languages
> like Akkadian all year.  Does it depend on the language you specialize in
> besides Hebrew that would
> determine where to go?  How do you decide what other Semitic language to
> study?  I'd like to go where
> I can get the best education, but with so little language knowledge I can
> not make a educated search.
> I'm currently a 1st year MDiv student at New Orleans Baptist Theological
> Seminary, at one of the extension centers.
> It'll probably be something like 3 years before I finish that, but I'd like
> to make sure I have all requirements for
> admission and get a jump on another language too.
>

> Steve Brailsford
> Seagate Software
> steve.brailsford AT seagatesoftware.com
> <mailto:steve.brailsford AT seagatesoftware.com>
> (407) 531-7543

Steve,

Check out UPenn's Ancient Near Eastern Studies programs at:

http://www.sas.upenn.edu/ames/ancient.html

Apparently, the Dropsie College for Hebrew and Cognate Learning has
been merged into UPenn. All this is explained at:

http://library.cjs.upenn.edu/Services/About.html

I also suppose that some of the most prestigious programs which offer
these semitic languages frequently would be in universites which are
located in the Near East. I know that Gleason Archer taught at one of those
NE schools for a time, but I can't remember what it was called.

Take care.

Best regards from a fellow computer nerd, :-)
-Troy

--
Troy DeJongh troyd AT pobox.com http://pobox.com/~troyd

  • Graduate PhD Programs, Steve Brailsford, 12/04/1998
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Graduate PhD Programs, Troy DeJongh, 12/04/1998