b-hebrew - Re: Abel's birth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Abel's birth
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 98 23:22:10

On Tue 17 Nov 98 (09:01:17 +1100), gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au wrote:
> Regarding the birth of Abel in Genesis, the text may imply that he was
> Cain's twin. The word WATTOSEP at the beginning of 4:2 means that Eve
> "continued" to give birth to Cain's brother, Abel. Although this may
> just be a general statement that Eve continued to have other children
> after Cain, it can legitimately be taken to imply that the birth of
> Cain and that of Abel was one event.

Hi George!

You have a point; but the eponymous YoSePh of Genesis 30:24 was no twin.
WaTTiQRa' 'eTh-Sh:MoW YoSePh LeMoR YoSePh YHWH LiY BeN 'eCeR.

Her second son Benjamin (Benoni she called him) was "added" much later on
(Genesis 35:18). So I take leave to doubt that Cain and Abel were twins.

Good to read your posts again.
Ben
--
Revd Ben Crick, BA CF