b-hebrew - Aquirer v. possessor (Is 1:3)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
  • To: B-hebrew list <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Aquirer v. possessor (Is 1:3)
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 09:17:55 +0800

B-haverim,

We have come up with a translation that results in a very strong
contrast between the ox in Is 1:3a and the children in Is 1:3c, but
we wanted to check if it might be *too* strong. We use the word
"toro" (borrowed by the language from Spanish several hundred years
ago) which not only refers to a male bovine, but also brings up the
possibility of an angry animal. (This is *only* a possibility, not
a necessary meaning of the word.) We also used a word which means
to possess with an emphasis on the acquiring rather than the more
normal word which means to possess with the thought of a developed
relationship. The resulting contrast is between a possibly angry or
mean animal who knows and accepts the one who merely acquired him
and the children, who should have a relationship but are instead
rebelling.)

Our questions: Does our use of "toro" (picture a bull in the
bullfights) go contrary to the normal usage of $oWR? Are we
overplaying the acquisition as opposed to possession with the word
QoN"HW.? Does the contrast that we result in coincide with what you
see in these verses, or is it too strong?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Paul

Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Philippines