b-hebrew - Re: menorah design

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "T.L. Phillips" <tiphillips AT infoave.net>
  • To: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: menorah design
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 09:17:50 -0500

Lampstand...stand for lamps! What a concept! ---Jus' funnin'. Shouldn't
M-norah be understood as "a place" for a ner or nerot? Some years back when
I was looking at the menorah passages, I came to the realization that they
were indeed just lamps sitting on a (special) stand and could have light
"facing" a direction. I was also impressed by the botanical terms used to
describe the stand. About a year later, I read an article (by Judith
Frankel?) in BAR about how English translations didn't do this justice (from
an naturalist at Ne'ot Kedumim in Israel) and sent her my translation. Then
I ran across Carol Meyer's dissertation on the Tabernacle Menorah. (Sorry,
at school [public school, that is] and away from my correspondence, texts,
and books). You would find it interesting, I'm sure.

Thinking of Debbie Boone now for some weird reason.

Tim

>Friends,
>
>Re Num 8:2 and the menorah design. The H reads _beha(alotka )et hannerot
>)el mul Peney hammenorah ya)iyru $ib(at hannerot_ "when you mount(?) the
>lamps, it will be to the front face of the menorah that the seven lamps
>will shine." Does this suggest moveable and/or adjustable lamps having a
>design which is "pointable" or "directable"? I have never seen a menorah
>model with such a feature, have you?
>
>Bryan
>
>B. M. Rocine
>Associate Pastor
>Living Word Church
>6101 Court St. Rd.
>Syracuse, NY 13208
>
>315-437-6744(w)
>315-479-8267(h)
>
>---
>You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: tiphillips AT infoave.net
>To unsubscribe, forward this message to
$subst('Email.Unsub')