b-hebrew - Re: a connection: tiberian accents and music

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Will Wagers <hyle AT gte.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: a connection: tiberian accents and music
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 14:52:48 -0600

Dear Vincent,

Vincent DeCaen writes:

>in other words, the phonological reality behind the accents also
>accounts for the musical reality **for free**. apparently the *same*
>principles operating in these downdrafts. neato. ;-)
>
>btw, the downdraft looks something like this:
>
> /\
> \/\
> \/\
> \/\
> \

I've heard this referred to many times regarding Hebrew and "primitive"
laments, but it wasn't called "downdraft". I am sorry I can't remember the
musical term. It was supposedly a sort of wail in song in the style of grief-
stricken mourners, beginning high, slowly coming down until the cantor is
out of breath. And, its use was not restricted to tonal languages, Or, so I
seem to recall.

Will Wagers hyle AT gte.net "Reality is the best metaphor."