b-hebrew - Re[2]: Sin offerings

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT sil.org
  • To: yonsaf AT beitberl.beitberl.ac.il, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: Sin offerings
  • Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 12:44 -0500 (EST)

Unfortunately I don't have these available either - the best BH
library here in Baku is probably my personal one. Averbeck's article
in VanGemeren on xa++f)t quotes Milgrom enough to get me interested;
although (from his conservative Christian standpoint) he does not
agree with Milgrom, he accepts that xa++f)t deals with physical (e.g.
Lev 12:6,8) as well as moral defilement. (But is this distinction
anachronistic?) So perhaps someone else can check out what Milgrom and
others have to say on this.

Do any recognised translations translate xa++f)t by anything other
than "sin offering"?

I thought only the first and eighth days of Sukkot which were supposed
to be days of rest - Leviticus 23:35,36,39. But then I am sure your
librarians have earned their break.

Peter Kirk