b-hebrew - eBHS availability report

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kirk Lowery <KirkLowery AT xc.org>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew FORUM <"b-hebrew"@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: eBHS availability report
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 09:08:02 -0400

Friends,

I promised to look into matters of the availability of the electronic version
of
BHS and report back.

Here's what I've learned:

eBHS is still theoretically available, but presently not via download. Part of
the cost of eBHS is due to the cost of media (diskettes), postage and
handling.

At present the institution controlling the distribution of eBHS is the United
Bible Societies (New York), and distribution for the most part has been
through
CCAT at the University of Pennsylvania, although not via download. I have been
in contact with responsible persons at both institutions. They have expressed
real desire to see eBHS more easily available than it has been in the past, at
the irreducible minimum of cost. What was news to me was that official
discussions are underway to accomplish these ends. However, this process will
take us to the end of the year, probably.

Since I am local to the University of Pennsylvania, I hope to meet
face-to-face
with the good folks there next week and see if there is anything we can do in
the meantime. I'll report back when I have some more news.

Blessings,

Kirk
Kirk E. Lowery, Ph.D. voice: (215) 572-3845
Associate Director of Academic Computing fax: (215) 887-5404
Westminster Theological Seminary email: <KirkLowery AT xc.org>
Philadelphia, PA 19118

  • eBHS availability report, Kirk Lowery, 09/25/1998