b-hebrew - RE: Indirect volitives in Genesis 1?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT voyageronline.net>
  • To: "Trevor M Peterson" <spedrson AT juno.com>
  • Cc: "Hebrew List" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Indirect volitives in Genesis 1?
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 12:07:29 -0400

Dear Trevor,
My interpretation of the verbs is as follows:
1- Genesis 1:6 Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters,
and let it divide the waters from the waters.
These are parallel forms and indicate two jussives. A weyiqtol may express
purpose, but it always indicates a second, additional action. See Niccacci,
Section 159.

2- 1:9 Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place,
and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
Same as above, two separate actions.

3- 1:26 Let us make man in our image, . . .
and let them have . . .
Same as above, two separate jussives.

4- 1:14 Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide
(purpose) the day from the night;
and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon
the earth: and it was so.

Weqatal is a continuation form that sets the action in the future. Niccacci,
section 156, says "In speech, when continuing a volitional form, weQATAL
simply qualifies the action as future (with a nuance of succession or
conclusion) unlike the weYIQTOL.