b-hebrew - Re: Biblical Hebrew Transcription (was: Jeremiah 23:2)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "T. L. Phillips" <tiphillips AT infoave.net>
  • To: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Biblical Hebrew Transcription (was: Jeremiah 23:2)
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 11:30:10 -0400

I like it except for tet, "Chet", and "Tsade".

Elsewhere, and occassionally on this list, I see X for Xet.
Considering newcomers, this would guarantee that the Hebrew
letter and the guy that used to anchor the news would not be
confused :-).

I would rather see + used for "tet". I see the look-a-like
factor but also a U vowel.

"Tsade" is a stumper, but why use diagraphs at all? Some
suggestions (including 2 digraphs):
S,
S.
?
5 (looks like S and T together)

+"yt
xet or is it x"t
5@d"y

5edek, 5addiyq

Would the consonants have to be capitalized?

Tim Phillips