b-hebrew - uansubscribing, a "breakthrough"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Tony Prete <tonyp AT waterwheel.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: uansubscribing, a "breakthrough"
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 09:23:59 -0400

OK folks, here's the scoop. We're dealing with a numbskull computer that
has only two responses to anything we send it: "I know you" and "I don't
know you."

So, make absolutely sure that the address you attach to your "unsubscribe"
message is exactly the same as the address to which your posts are sent.
Note, this might be different from your e-mail address, so copy it from the
"To" line in the header. That is how the computer knows you, and even the
slightest variation will elicit a "not on the list" response.

I've used this technique now with two people who couldn't unsubscribe, and
it worked both times.

If it doesn't work for you (we are, after all, dealing with computers!),
you need to find out how the list knows you. Send to

majordomo AT virginia.edu

the following single-line message:

who b-hebrew

Put it in the message area, not the subject area (which you should leave
blank). Don't include your "signature" (which may not appear in the message
area but might be automatically transmitted)--it just slows down the
computer's response. (It feels compelled to append to the response a
line-by-line duplication of your signature, telling you it does not
recognize each line. As though you care.)

You will get back a list of all the names on the B-Hebrew list at
virginia.edu (unfortunately, it's not alphabetical). Your address must be
in there, otherwise the computer doesn't know you and wouldn't be sending
you anything. So look carefully; as noted above, it may be a form that you
don't readily recognize. For example, one of the folks I just finally
unsubscribed had "popmail" in the address on file at B-Hebrew, even though
it did not appear in his own address.

This has to help. The computer isn't smart enough to be devious.

Peace,

Tony
(former--and finally, I hope, retired--gatekeeper, B-Hebrew)

Anthony Prete
212 Marne Avenue
Haddonfield NJ 08033-1444
609/428-1203
tonyp AT waterwheel.net
tony AT theotherside.org

  • uansubscribing, a "breakthrough", Tony Prete, 08/28/1998