b-hebrew - V. forms in Ps 18 and 2 Sam 22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: V. forms in Ps 18 and 2 Sam 22
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 08:04:15 -0400

B-Haverim,

Perhaps, just maybe, possibly, I'm back on the list. I'll test this shakey
hypothesis by re-submitting the following which I previously sent only to
the "Virginia" crowd.

Here's a comparison of some of the verb forms in Psa 18 and 2 Sam 22(the
verse numbers conveniently correspond) which are essentially the same poem.
How can this be?

Verse root Psa 18 2 Sam 22

7 $m( yiqtol wayyiqtol
12 $yt yiqtol wayyiqtol
14 r(m wayyiqtol yiqtol
15 $lx wayyiqtol yiqtol
16 glh wayyiqtol yiqtol
24 hyh wayyiqtol wayyiqtol
(short) (long)
38 )sg weyiqtol wayyiqtol
39 npl yiqtol wayyiqtol
44 pl+ yiqtol wayyiqtol

The "long" wayyiqtol of 2 Sam 22:24 may be a bit of a surprise; it is
attested at least ten times in first person forms.

Does anyone know of an article which compares the two versions of the poem
linguistically?

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine