b-hebrew - Article on Discourse and Accents

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: HarryJ_Harm AT kastanet.org
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Article on Discourse and Accents
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 19:15 -0500 (EST)

Dear B-Hebrewers,

I must confess that accents were something I never had to learn in my
formal Hebrew studies and since I didn't have to I didn't.

I remember that Lars Lode presented an interesting paper at the Seminar
on Discourse LInguistics and Biblical Hebrw which was held in Dallas,
Texas in June 1993. HIs paper was called "A Discourse Perspective on
the Significance of Masoretic Accents". The paper was published in
Biblical Hebrew and Discourse Linguistics, edited by Robert D. Bergen
(pp. 155-172). This book is available from SIL (International Academic
Bookstore) and Eisenbrauns.

The summary paragraph has:

First the main structures of Biblical Hebrew narrative paragraphs
and episodes are briefly presented here, and then the structure
and function of the Tiberian accentuation. The end notes present
exhaustive data on the distribution in text and the values for
each marker in Genesis. The conclusion is that all of the
disjunctive accents indicate prominence on levels of sentence,
paragraph, episode, and discourse, except for the most frequent
ones, Silluq, Atnach, Tifcha, Little Zaqef, and Pashta.

Sincerely,

Harry J. Harm :{)

  • Article on Discourse and Accents, HarryJ_Harm, 08/21/1998