b-hebrew - Re: Exodus 21:22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT Highland.Net>
  • To: RHutchin AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Exodus 21:22
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 22:25:27 +0000

At 10:10 PM 8/12/98 -0400, you wrote:
>We have--
>
>Exod. 21
>22 If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart
>from
>her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as
>the
>woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine.
>
>What does the Hebrew text that is translated as -- depart from her --
>actually
>mean? Does the phrase -- depart from her -- specifically and only refer to a
>miscarriage as some say it does? Or does the Hebrew text allow that a blow
>the woman initiates labor and the premature birth of the child which may
>result in the death of the child, but does not have to.
>
>Roger Hutchinson
>RHutchin AT AOL.com

Fascinating question! In fact, the tradents of the Samaritan Pentateuch and
some exemplars from the LXX ask the same question- for instead of the MT,
they have 'and it goes forth and she bears it' !!! Personally, I think the
passage simply means that the woman is hit in the belly, and the child is
born dead- killed by the blow. But the Sam. Pent. obviously sees it as your
second possibility above implies.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Bible
Quartz Hill School of Theology

jwest AT highland.net

  • Exodus 21:22, RHutchin, 08/12/1998
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Exodus 21:22, Jim West, 08/12/1998