approtech - Re: [approtech] [Market Farming] Agricultural Urbanism

approtech AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Appropriate Technology

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Market Farming <marketfarming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Appropriate Technology <approtech AT lists.ibiblio.org>, permaculture <permaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [approtech] [Market Farming] Agricultural Urbanism
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 20:25:34 -0500

On 2/10/2011 4:09 PM, K. M. Oliver wrote:
This sounds pretty good at the first reading; however, upon thinking
about this a bit further, I could see some potential problems. In
this "community garden" set-up, it would seem to me that it would
have to be mandated from the very beginning just exactly what could
be grown as well as what type of seeds could be planted and how they
are cared for. Say, for instance, I want quality nutritious veggies,
so I'm painstakingly growing an all-organic no-chemicals-added
garden, and the neighbor wants quantity eye-candy-type plants, so he
puts in GMO seeds and sprays away. I would not be a happy camper in
that situation. To have to spell all this out in a contract-type
situation would, in my opinion, negate a lot of the benefits, such as
the peacefulness of the garden itself, and would seem rather
restrictive. I admit, I didn't have time to read the whole long
article, but this would be a first major concern. The idea, though,
sounds really good. The problem would be that not everyone thinks
the same.

Did you look at the .pdf & its landscape architectural renderings?
If not you're missing a clearer view of what this thing is all about.
Myself, I just pooled at the renderings and assumed one would naturally max out one's finest permaculture and landscape designs/plans/systems
without regard for any "neighborhood or community covenants shouls they exist"; kind of homeowner-planter's anarchy, as is commonplace most places anyway, you do what you want on your own property EXCEPT use any
environmentally harmful substances i.e. herbicides or pesticides. I _assumed_ that their plan was, from the start, organic/natural/sustainable/regenerative/biointensive in every respect through and throughout their plan from start to finish for perpetuity. I have not read all the text so may is says differently. If so then they will simply have to make some necessary changes, eh? :-)

On 2/10/2011 5:21 PM, Linda Ray wrote:
> I agree with Kris' excellent point. The description there sounds like a Planned
> Urban Development to me.

It is mega light years beyond anything I have ever seen. It is new age Capability Brown on steroids and superfood. It is one of the most inspiring concepts I have ever run across...and has almost infinite potential. Paolo Solerit one one things, Oneill's Space Colonies are another, this is in the real here and now.

> While I am glad to see that someone's working out a plan for the type of folks
> who will want that kind of thing, I personally am one of those independent types
> who would not tolerate community control of my property by factors external to
> myself.
>
> IMHO providing the knowledge and expertise to accomplish Edible Landscaping
> wherever you are would be far more harmonious in any urban environment.

I assumed that would be a built in factor in their plan, everything to do with edible landscapes and forest gardens and home and community food production, in spades.

> JMHO.
>
> Still I am glad to read of this idea's existence, and I do think it would be a
> good idea to flesh out. This will be perfect for some people. I'm just not one
> of 'em.

Yes, to add some ideas to their original concept:

You;re potentially dealing with lots of land and many people, thus many
community and village units, towns, if you will. I could go on for hours about this. I have hands on expertise with some of the things I think they ought to incorporate into their plan.
1) Keep it simple
2) Waste not, be frugal, recycle, reuse, regenerate, conserve
3) Standardize, wherever possible all aspects of dwelling and building construction, water management, sewer and sanitation and energy acquisition, generation, distribution and usage

As for 3):

Building materials:
1-AAC block and panels for insulation, floor, walls and possibly roof
2-Eco-friendly non toxic pressure treated lumber
3-Prepainted, galvanized contoured metal panels for roofing and siding
4-Masonry products for interior (thermal storage) and exterior (no maintenance & very sturdy and durable) walls, decorative, load bearing and structural
5-High strength concrete for structural elements, grade beam foundations, floors: interior and exterior
6-Masonry and ceramic products for floors and walls, kitchens and baths

How many of these could be made on site or in plants/factories located in reasonable proximity to urban areas within a region, to reduce cost and shipping

Set up an accompanying NPSPMDN that these urban areas/communities/villages could be an integral part of:
National Product and Services Production, Marketing and Distribution Network

I have more ideas to submit after a break for a glass of mineral water...

  • Re: [approtech] [Market Farming] Agricultural Urbanism, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 02/10/2011