aifia-education - [Aifia-education] IA education at the high school level

aifia-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of IA education

  • From: Gershom Rogers <gerogers AT cisco.com>
  • To: aifia-education AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Aifia-education] IA education at the high school level
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 21:56:31 -0000

Hi. I am a new member of AIfIA.

I've been working for Cisco Systems for many years, and I've had the privilege to be involved in an "ementoring" program that began at our Cisco campus in the Research Triangle area of North Carolina. The original goal was to work with the Cisco Networking Academy students, but this year I have shifted my focus to work with the students who are studying Web Design/Digital Media at nearby Chapel Hill High School.

My main reason for writing to you is to let you know about a program that makes an "IT" curriculum available to high school students. Some of the students that I have been working with at Chapel Hill High School are enrolled in that program. Here is the school's Academy of Information Technology page:
http://www.chapelhillacademy.com/ithome.html

As you can see, students take "Introduction to the Internet" during their sophomore year, and have the opportunity to further study topics of interest to them, including web design, during their senior year.

This curriculum was developed by the National Academy Foundation (NAF), and it is now being taught in more than 90 public high schools nationwide.
http://www.naf.org/theacademies/infotech

It seems to me that there might be an opportunity here for the IA community to work with the NAF to enhance their curriculum.

I would certainly be willing to assist in that regard, if there is interest.

Gershom Rogers
Program Manager
Cisco Technical Support
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/index.html

  • [Aifia-education] IA education at the high school level, Gershom Rogers, 02/27/2004