aifia-education - Re: [Aifia-education] IA to eLearning?

aifia-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of IA education

  • From: Victor Lombardi <victorlombardi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: aifia-education AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Aifia-education] IA to eLearning?
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 18:15:16 -0700 (PDT)

Speaking from my limited experience of having
converted my course to a distance education format, I
found that there's a gap between elearning theory and
practice. Instructors don't seem to have the time to
review the literature, and the academics aren't
usually making theory readily accessible.

In my case the school has portal software that has a
number of functions that can be used in flexibile
combinations to customize a course. If this sounds
like what you might be exploring, I recommend getting
some real-world experience with this sort of
interface. Go to some schools/companies that show the
interfaces on their websites and try adapting a
subject matter you understand to that software. I
would think showing actual examples of your thinking
would effectively convey your approach to an employer.

--- Brenda Janish <brendaj AT interaccess.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for someone who's had success
> translating their IA skills
> and experience to an eLearning/instructional design
> position and
> employer.
>
> I'm currently trying to transition from web design
> to eLearning
> design specifically (IA to instructional designer?
> or content
> developer?), and would really appreciate advice on
> speaking the
> online-ed language, and helping potential employers
> see how my
> interactive design skills fit into their existing
> team and processes.
> I know my interaction design skills are applicable
> to elearning
> design, I'm just not sure how to convey that
> succinctly to a
> potential employer.
>
> Thanks in advance for the advice.
>
> -Brenda