acawiki-general - Re: [acawiki-general] summary reuse

acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Chitu Okoli <Chitu.Okoli AT concordia.ca>
  • To: "AcaWiki general (listserv)" <acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [acawiki-general] summary reuse
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 14:54:29 -0500

Hi everyone,

I first posted here a year ago, and I've been silently listening since then. However, Joni
and Mike's posts  highlight what I have always considered a major irony of AcaWiki, which I suspect limits its tremendous potential. I offer this as (hopefully) constructive criticism.

It is my understanding that Wikimedia can legally copy and modify summaries from AcaWiki (CC-BY), but AcaWiki cannot legally copy the summaries found on Wikimedia pages (CC-BY-SA). In fact, the article that Joni linked to says, "Most of this summary originates in the one posted acawiki.org" implies that AcaWiki cannot benefit from the modified summary that originated from AcaWiki. Isn't this ironic?

So, you have four excellent summaries of articles, legally free, and ready to copy-and-paste into AcaWiki (the other four summaries on that Wikimedia page), but this is not possible for reasons of license incompatibility. And please note that this incompatibility is only one way, in the wrong direction for AcaWiki.
Thus, Mike generously offers to rewrite fresh new summaries.  Isn't this ironic?

In fact, I believe literally hundreds of articles are in the same situation scattered across the Web (that is, available CC-BY-SA, and thus unavailable to AcaWiki). Might this not suggest a compelling reason to switch the AcaWiki license to CC-BY-SA? I think such a change might provide a tremendous boost and much-needed boost towards better realizing the huge potential that I believe AcaWiki has.

Regards,
Chitu

------------------------
Chitu Okoli
Associate Professor in Information Systems
John Molson School of Business, Concordia University, Montréal

Professeur invité dans technologies d'information
HEC Montréal, 2012 à 2013

http://chitu.okoli.org/pro

20 février 2013 14:47

Updated home page news with this.

I'm going to read all 5 soon so that I can vote, and will summarize.
But I'd prefer to improve other people's summaries. :)

Mike