acawiki-general - Re: [acawiki-general] death of the author summary

acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Jodi Schneider <jschneider AT pobox.com>
  • To: Spencer Young <cerparleyo AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [acawiki-general] death of the author summary
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 15:03:18 +0100

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 4:01 AM, Spencer Young <cerparleyo AT gmail.com> wrote:
Case in point: http://acawiki.org/What_is_an_author%3F

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 3:33 PM, Spencer Young <cerparleyo AT gmail.com> wrote:
I'm starting to notice this multiple publication issue with a number of other papers, which begs the question: Which publication date do you list if both can't be listed?

I would go for the original date and source.

We could include republication info in the "Theoretical and practical relevance" section for now. Some sections on "Theoretical and practical relevance" include info like how heavily cited an article is; another sign of impact is how heavily republished something is.

Also, what's the criteria for the publication's 'online url'? Does it have to be a credible, institution-based source like JSTOR or does a site like SCRIBD work too?

I'm not a big fan of SCRIBD. If the copyright holder (author, publisher, ...) has posted to SCRIBD it's definitely fine. Otherwise, I'd avoid linking. Wikipedia's policy is more comprehensive than we need, but it may be worth writing up some simple & straightforward guidelines.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:EL

Project-based digitizations of small press works (e.g. the Death of the Author link) do seem credible to me;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use#Fair_use_under_United_States_law

-Jodi
PS--I changed the link to "Death of an author" to an internal link; those should be the default style, so in my opinion, they don't need special mention. YMMV. :)