acawiki-general - Re: [acawiki-general] A journalist's Acawiki?

acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT gondwanaland.com>
  • To: Greg Grossmeier <greg AT grossmeier.net>
  • Cc: acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [acawiki-general] A journalist's Acawiki?
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 18:42:11 -0700

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 12:20, Greg Grossmeier <greg AT grossmeier.net> wrote:
Came across this today:
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=416847

Basically, since journalists and scientists think each other are at fault
for the crappy reporting on science in popular media, they agreed to
create this website where people write plain language summaries of
research. It isn't clear from the article who writes the summaries,
though each one seems to be signed by a single author.

According to the about page, all of the content is available under a
CC:BY license:
http://journalistsresource.org/about/

(They incorrectly stated that the content is "considered to be public
domain," unfortunately)

One other cool thing I noticed is that they are linking to the full text
of the articles in at least all of the summaries I looked at.

Thoughts? Should we ingest this material into Acawiki?

This looks like a really great project. Less of a community approach, but really complementary, yes we should ingest. Hopefully they will improve license notice, specify clear attribution, etc. Tried sending one of contacts an email from my CC address and copied Greg.

Mike