[XOM-interest] Question on Elements and Nodes (and Attributes)

Mik Lernout mik at futurestreet.org
Mon Jan 26 11:21:28 EST 2004

Dear all,

I just encountered two rather noizy thingies in the XOM API:

    * Why doesn't Elements and Nodes implement List? It would make it a
      lot easier to introduce XOM in current scripting languages (think
      JSTL / velocity / FreeMarker / .. ) and would give an
      instantanious familiar interface to novice programmers. I can
      understand the 'no two ways to do the same thing '-principle, but
      that does not really count here, does it... just a thought...
    * Why is there no Attributes? The |*getAttributeCount
      <http://www.cafeconleche.org/XOM/apidocs/nu/xom/Element.html#getAttributeCount%28%29>*()|
      and |*getAttribute
      <http://www.cafeconleche.org/XOM/apidocs/nu/xom/Element.html#getAttribute%28int%29>*(int index)|
      feel awkward and unnatural compared to Elements and Nodes.

I don't know what you guys think of this, but for me the first item is
already a critical factor in using/not-usingXOM for my currenct project...

Mik