[XOM-interest] Obscure encodings

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Sat Jan 3 11:32:38 EST 2004

It appears that IBM's Java 1.4.1 virtual machine for Linux does
support all these encodings. Therefore I can test them, and users can
use them if they need to. Thus support for all of these encodings are
going to ship with XOM 1.0. :-)

On the other hand, IBM's Java 1.4.1 ships with an outdated version of
Xerces which throws NoSuchMethodErrors when used with XOM. I'm
working around that now, but the workarounds will probably make IBM's
JVM noticeably slower than Sun's VM when used with XOM. :-(

There are also some issues with IBM's Xalan version I need to explore further.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo at metalab.unc.edu
   Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)