[XOM-interest] Obscure encodings

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Thu Jan 1 21:26:29 EST 2004

XOM currently includes support for several 8-bit ISO encodings that are
not supported in the JDK, including:

ISO-8859-10
ISO-8859-11
ISO-8859-14
ISO-8859-16

These encodings do not appear to be supported in the latest JDK 1.5
alpha either, or in various IBM JDKs. Therefore I can't really test
these. Thus I have two basic options:

1. Remove specific support for these encodings from XOM
2. Write my own OutputStreamWriter subclass to specifically handle these
encodings. I already do this for EBCDIC-37 because Sun's EBCDIC-Unicode
mapping tables are incorrect.

Naturally it's easier to remove the extra encodings, and I'm inclined to
do that, unless anyone speaks up and says they actually need these
encodings.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold