[unclug] IP metering?

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at unc.edu
Thu Aug 8 17:41:50 EDT 2013

http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/unclug/2013-August/000537.html
> hoping a home-use question isn't OT:
> Any suggestions regarding IP-use measurement apps for a linux desktop?

"desktop" as in GNOME, KDE, etc

http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/unclug/2013-August/000538.html

> However the plans I find most interesting (currently) provide
> 10 GB/mo, with "Extra data 0.7¢ per MB" so ya definitely wanna stay
> under that cap :-(

> 10 GB/mo *sounds* doable for me, since my main access modes do not
> currently include streaming video. That being said, I really don't
> *know* my cumulative monthly bandwidth--only that TWC/RR clamps my
> downloads @ 1.92 MB/s (so I could not *possibly* be using more than
> ~5000 GB/mo :-) I'm wondering,

> 1. What could I install on my debian/GNOME laptop to measure my IP usage?
>    Any recommendations by "actual users"?

> 2. Is there some TWC/RR UI that shows a user's IP usage?

To clarify the motivation further: I plug directly into the cablemodem, so there's no router software to collect this data for me. ISTM I hafta get this either from my client or from the ISP.

TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>